Special Situations

Emergency Response Assistance Plan (ERAP) – Part 7

Certain types and quantities of dangerous goods are such a high risk to public safety, that they require approvals from Transport Canada prior to importing, offering for transport, or transporting. This approval is called an ERAP.

The requirements for an ERAP are based on exceeding the maximum allowable quantities listed in Column 7 of Schedule 1.

Consult Part 7 of the TDG Regulations to determine if an ERAP is required for your shipment, whether offered or imported.

Equivalency Certificate – Part 14

There are certain situations where the requirements of the TDG Regulations cannot be complied with. In these cases you may apply for a special exemption called an equivalency certificate.

Some exemptions are for one time events, while others are product, industry, or association specific and can be approved for 1 year or for multiple years.

An exemption may allow you to be exempt from things such as:

  • documentation
  • certified containers
  • training

If you do receive an equivalency certificate, it is mandatory to review the information listed on it. You need to understand the specific terms and conditions. Equivalency certificates will have a time period. You need to make sure you update it well in advance of its expiry.

Some equivalency certificates require you to list a statement that lets inspectors know that you are exempt from a portion of the regulation.

It is important to comply with all the requirements of the equivalency certificate. Non compliance may lead to the equivalency certificate being voided.

International Shipments – Part 9

Not all dangerous goods shipments are done so within the boundaries of Canada. Many shipments cross borders. Dangerous goods heading into the U.S. are subject to rules under Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR).

Dangerous goods shipped to the United States for the most part can meet Canadian TDG Regulations. However the U.S.DOT has some specific requirements that shippers and carriers must comply with.

Carriers entering the U.S. may be subject to security requirements (HM232). The carrier or trucking company may have to:

  • clear security screening
  • complete a security training program
  • provide a security plan
  • register with U.S. authorities

The dangerous goods or hazmat documentation used when entering the U.S. must:

  • have the shipper’s name printed and a shipper’s signature
  • have a consignee’s name and address identified
  • have a 24-hour number that is accessible in the U.S.
  • have additional emergency response information (Emergency Response Guide or SDS)

It is also important to check the TDG Regulations, Part 9 for rules on shipments to and from the U.S.

Additional Modes of Transport – Parts 10, 11, 12

Shipments involving other modes of transport may require additional or separate training. This would be regulated by the competent authority in Canada (Transport Canada).

There are some different regulatory requirements when using different modes of transport other than surface.

Rail – Part 10

  • Canada Transportation Act
  • Railway Safety Act
  • Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Part 10)

Marine – Part 11

  • International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Regulations set out by the IMO (International Maritime Organization)
  • The Canada Shipping Act, Home Trade Voyage, Class 1
  • Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Part 11)

Air – Part 12

  • International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • International Air Transport Association (IATA)
  • Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Part 12)

Provincial/Territorial/Regional Requirements

It is important to check the requirements and restrictions for each province, territory, city, town, and municipality.

Some areas may have restrictions for transporting dangerous goods on certain roads, bridges, tunnels, residential roads, etc.


Add a product in cart to see here!